10 November 2010

Therapy for Neurodegenerative Disease

As we all know, there aren't any substantiated cures for many Neurodegenerative diseases (Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, etc.). But, recently in Tucson, some of Zoe Cohen's students recently read an article about some patients who underwent a surgical procedure in using fetal cells in the brain. The exact reasoning as to why the procedure worked was not really explained, but the surgery did prove to be a success.

After discussing this article, I went ahead and looked into other aspects of how therapies can be revived or articulated to help combat neurodegenerative diseases. Since a significant portion of these diseases are initiated from certain genes (like Huntington's and Parkinson's), some reasoning for the use of fetal tissue was explained in one particular aspect of this journal. Another approach contemplated a usage of RNA interface, which could keep certain genes , or defective genes, from being expressed under normal conditions.

I'm posting the article where alot of this is shown, but keep in mind that this doesn't really solve the problem. It just sheds light on therapeutic approaches.
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/392

3 comments:

  1. I find this article very interesting due to the fact that it solely discusses various frontiers in medical research/therapeutic advancements (something of which strikes great interest in me). The article provided a sense of optimism for those suffering with neurodegenerative diseases which I took great comfort in considering the struggle my family has been subject to with my grandfather's Alzheimer's. When neurodegenerative diseases are brought to mind, most presumably resort to thoughts of a grim outcome for the patient as there is no cure for such conditions. However, I appreciate the attempt towards developing therapies for diseases such as Alzheimer's. It is quite the therapy to tackle but somewhere in the world people are relentlessly trying to change lives. It allows me to take comfort in knowing doctors, scientists, gene therapists etc. are learning from patients like my grandfather so they can apply it towards others with brain diseases later in life.

    I am incredibly fascinated with stem cell research and application and fully support their usage in medical procedures. I find it unfortunate that people cannot [ethically] look past the fact that, despite their origin in embryonic tissue, stem cells are on their way towards helping an eclectic array of patients. The article stated, upon transplantation they,"..allow for the generation of brain regions where integrated donor-derived cells can replace lost cells, provide support to degenerating cells.." That is something quite remarkable considering the implantation of stem cells may prolong the cognitive well-being of brain-diseased patients. If the day comes where the implantation of stem cells will save or prolong my life, I hope it a viable option that I may utilize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this article interesting. We do need to find alternatives to therapy for neurodegenerative diseases, and it's fascinating that people thought to look at fetal tissues. I'm curious to see how this type of research might be advanced in the future and how we can use it to cure or help out some diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stem Cells are one of the most impressive things that biology has to offer, in my opinion. I just wish I knew more about what it does and what its role in the body is...

    I read in a science article about how certain cytokines influence a cell's phenotype by not just interacting with it...but, with the amount of time it binded with the receptor itself! Who knows what they will come up with next?

    ReplyDelete