03 April 2011

Glucosamine, any effect or just a placebo?

Everybody has heard of glucosamine as being the one-stop treatment for restoring cartilage and thus eliminating a lot of the pain associated with arthritis. The premise behind the supplement is that glucosamine is a precursor for glycosaminoglycans, which are a building-block in cartilaginous tissue. By providing glycosaminoglycans, it is assumed that cartilage can be rebuilt. However, no substantial evidence exists confirming its effectiveness.

In fact, studies performed at the University of Laval in Quebec indicate that over-consumption of glucosamine frequently happens, due to the fact that as no positive effects are felt, people are more inclined to take more until satisfied. Over consumption of glucosamine has been tied to developing type 2 diabetes by killing pancreatic cells. Furthermore, those that have allergies to shellfish have reacted badly to the supplement, due to glucosamine being an active factor in shellfish exoskeletons.

Of all the scientific studies performed on this supplement, many have been a little dubious in their findings. Of these studies, the primary sponsors were health supplement providers and low numbers of patients, with little or no controls, provided results that give the appearance that glucosamine does in fact treat arthritis. However by eliminating the studies that had loose guidelines, it was observed that glucosamine has no noticeable affects over a placebo.

Arthritis is a growing problem that plagues many young and old alike. But is it worth taking a supplement that has minimal scientifically-proven results, and even may be more detrimental to ones health than originally thought?

4 comments:

  1. I have definitely heard similar information regarding glucosamine and I've been researching this supplement because my mom takes it. However, we I went with her to her doctor's appointment and brought these findings to his attention he partially agreed with me. He told me that it works on a case by case basis and that he himself takes glucosamine. He said if you "feel" it making a difference then you should continue to take it. Let's just say that I've never like any theories that this doctor has provided my family and I think he needs to do more research on the supplements that he tells his patients to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also heard similar things regarding glucosamine. My grandpa also takes this and I plan on asking him to ask his doctor what his view points are about it. I find it very interesting that a lot of doctors seem to prescribe things without truely researching everything about them. I know that it is a lot of work but I feel that they should take more concern to what they are prescribing to each individual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my dogs is clearly arthritic, with joints swollen to the size of golf balls. We have been giving him glucosamine for a few years now because he is so miserable when moves and the veterinarian suggested trying it. We give it to our dog wrapped in cheese or meat twice a day, so I feel like some placebo effect is averted, unless he thinks those goodies make his joints feel better haha. There is a visible difference in the way my dog moves and acts if my family leaves for a few days because while we can stock the dogs up on food, we cannot give my dog a twice daily supplement. When he goes a few days without the supplement, he returns to a painfully rigid state and rarely even gets up for a treat. Within a day or so of getting back on the supplement, he is moving around in markedly improved condition.

    Obviously, dogs and humans are not the same, but I wanted to mention this as an example of glucosamine "working" without relying on a placebo effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting to wonder about the placebo effects of glucosamine. There are a handful of articles and hearsay that proclaim glucosamine to be entirely a placebo effect. However there are just as many saying otherwise. So where do we go from there? I do like Jeff how you mentioned the effect that it has on your dog's arthritis. Surely he doesn't know you are putting it in with his food, and that would cause his pain to decrease. Surely dogs and humans are not much similar, but they do benefit and hinder often from many common traits.

    ReplyDelete