30 March 2011

Function of CD 28-

Hey guys!

I remember in class there was a question regarding CD 28- and its function. I found myself digging through my brain and eventully came to the conclusion that I didn't know what it did either! Like all science nerds, I went off on a search and finally figured it out.

In the article it was paired with CD 4. We know CD 4 is expressed on dendritic cells, macrophages T helper cells etc. It is a co-receptor that assists the T cell with the antigen-presenting cell and allows the signal to be amplified, so on and so forth.
It turns out that CD 28 is also expressed on T cells! It has an intense co-stimulatory signal for producing interleukins. CD28 also happens to be the only B7 receptor expressed on naive T cells!

There is a plethora of additional information in the journal article attached :)

http://jem.rupress.org/content/190/4/487.full

No comments:

Post a Comment